Monday, September 03, 2007

Other things from August 2007

I can't believe it is already September and my daughter is 2 years old. Today is Labour Day. I've been off for 4 days in a row. I work too much any how. A week from today will be my 3rd wedding anniversary. Yippee !!!

I apologize in advance for my older bro who is in Iraq right now, boiling above the sand pit with oil beneath the ground, waiting for Halliburton to tap in so the rich can increase profits. Basically, I apologize to all of those in Iraq who know that I am spoiled (and most of the population in the US is spoiled too) because I am not in a war zone. I have so much here, which means nothing. In Iraq they can't walk around without worrying about IEDs or getting shot at. There was a suspicious package at my base last week, it was an ammunition container, you know, those metal ones where you store your ammo. It was chilling on the ground. Some one reported it and apparently the base took it as a bomb threat & sent the bomb squad. You know, I told my guys at work that if I saw that ammo container, I would've picked it up and brought it home to store some stuff inside it after cleaning it out. We has a Saudi general come in with his bearded entourage to check out my work area. I referred to them as Hajis and towel-heads, just joking around of course. One of my guys at work keeps saying, they're not Hajis, Haji was Indian. I told him, "Duh! It's a derogatory term!" I called him a gumba. Later on we were telling other guys about the Saudi's visit to our work area. One of my guys, I'll call him Mikey... Mikey was joking to other airmen, saying, "A Saudi general came here to see our oil supply. The Saudis were laughing at our oil stocks (we keep oil for our jets in our work area). I heard one of them say, 'It's not even crude.' (he joked in an Arab voice)" Sometimes at work is a horrible place to be, but when I've got a guy around like Mikey, he makes being at work fun. Other guys at work are fun to be around too. We try to hook each other up with cut-backs when feasible and sometimes we'll give them a random off day for fun, when we can get away with it.

Sure, my body has crapped out and I go through a lot of pain and other annoying nonsense, sometimes I can't sleep... life is still good though. I mean, I don't want to rub this in to my older brother's face, cuz he's going to read this post... the fact that I've got this 4 day weekend, how it isn't very hot over here, I can drive around to any place when I want to go somewhere, how I've been eating awesome food all weekend; yesterday I ate at an Asian buffet, had lots of sushi, orange plus sesame chicken & other stuff & ice cream... Man, for 10 bucks a person, that isn't a bad deal at all. It was better than the $30 buffet I ate at in Nevada a few years back... way overpriced for lousy food.

Another great thing. You know the 1997 Ford Taurus, which recently stalled and hasn't worked cuz the whole electric system went haywire last week ? This is the same car that had a bad alternator 6 months ago and I ended up replacing the alternator and got a new battery free from Walmart because the bad alternator killed the NEverStart battery which my father put in the vehicle in October or November 2006, only a few months before I received the car. I don't understand how I got a newly refurbished alternator in February from Autozone for $150 and last week it burnt out? It took 6 months to burn out? Well, I finally had time on Friday to bring my battery and alternator to Autozone after having to run down the highway to buy a 15mm combo wrench so I could remove the belt from the alternator; that 15mm wrench was extremely handy; finally I got the alternator out and threw it in my Honda along with the battery. Yeah, so I drove to Autozone in my riceburner and brought my receipt for the burnt out alternator, which does have a warranty, that is why I paid for the more expensive alternator because it had a warranty with it. I suspected that the alternator burnt out cuz I could smell burnt wiring and I knew no other compenent was bad; afterall, I'm an electronics specialist for military aircraft. Vehicles are easy. I figured that I was 100% right about the alternator, in fact, that is exactly what I told the guy at Autozone. "I'm about 100% sure that this alternator is shot. The battery is good, reads 11 volts, just needs to be fully charged. The reason why the battery is reading 11 volts probably because the alternator went bad and the battery lost voltage." Then the Autozone guy replies back to me, of course he thinks he knows it all, "Not necessarily." I wanted to smack him. The alternator is basically a generator. It keeps the battery charged AND applies power to the entire vehicle system. The 12 volt battery can have 11 volts, but needs a working alternator to maintain enough power to send through the system and to keep the battery at 12 volts, NOT 11. If you have the headlights on, the A/C, radio, and try to keep the car running, with a bad alternator and 11 volts on the battery, the electrical system is going to go crazy, eating too much power and the 11 volts in the battery alone CANNOT maintain power supplied to everything in the vehicle, and eventually, ONLY with the car engine running while everything else is powered off, the car will stall. That is basic electronics on a vehicle. Sometimes you can't get a window to go up or down or get the headlights to work.... but the car still runs... you replace a light or window motor, then you realize the money you wasted... replace the alternator and... it is FIXED now !!!! Fortunately I only had to charge the battery and replace the alternator because I wasn't going to replace a window motor. Enough money has been wasted on the Ford Taurus. I guess I was in good shape on Friday because I exchanged the bad alternator and got a new alternator free from Autozone and the Ford Taurus works like a champ now. If the battery went bad, I would've gone to Walmart to get another one for free. If the alternator goes bad again, I'll get another free too. How many times I exchange, I don't care, as long as it is free I'm cool with it.

1 Comments:

Blogger The D said...

I feel sorry for your Bro as well. It is a raw deal. One would hope that this government would use its soldiers only if it absolutely had to and not because it can.

Cars are a pain in the arse. What chu gonna do?

Thursday, 06 September, 2007  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Search for gas prices by US Zip Code