Sunday, August 12, 2007

Calebo's Travels



Last week I went to several local banks to exchange $115 Canadian dollars for some US dollars. After 3 tries at other banks, I finally went to the right place, 4 times a charm. There was a $15 fee for the exchange, which would be deducted from the total value in US dollars. $115 Canadian = $102.52 US; subtract $15 US and I get $87.52 US. The bank teller asked me, "Is that okay?" It was a pain going through the hassle, so I was okay with it. Then the teller said, "To process this I'll need your driver's license." I left my license in the car because I wasn't expecting to provide ID for a harmless currency exchange, plus I had my BDUs (camouflage military uniform) on. I say, "No." Didn't have my license. Did this have something to do with the Patriot Act ? Then the teller says, "Your military ID is fine." The lady could've just asked me for an ID because not everyone has a drivers license. These days you can't get much accomplished unless you've got a government issued ID.


So on top of the rip of currency exchange fee, I was more pissed off that in order to exchange Canadian money for US money, I had to provide my ID for them to copy, my home address, birth date, and then sign one of their documents for their records.


Yesterday I went to a barbecue, if you want to even call it a BBQ. I'll explain. 2 guys from work invited a bunch of other cohorts from work to their home for a BBQ. Their home was out in the sticks, not easily found. I finally arrived and saw their massive potato gun, new grill, fridge with lock, and bar/keg connected to the fridge. Also, they had a makeshift horseshoe pit. The ex-Army guy from next door had a party of his own: they rode ATVs, drove on lawnmowers, and played volleyball. One guy riding a lawnmower ran over some sticks, killing the engine. That was hilarious. I played "More than a Feeling" on Guitar Hero over there too. I got to hear a funny story of how a deer came into my friend's garage. He left the garage door open the night before and the next morning he saw a deer right there in his garage. He thought about shutting the door on the deer or even getting their guns out, but that didn't happen. Military guys with weapons = danger. About the BBQ, lots of guys from work showed up. Earlier was a Squadron picnic, which I did NOT go to. Sadly enough, at the Squadron picnic they provide free beer from their kegs, which makes a lot more people want to come in and join the activities. I don't enjoy Squadron activities too much because a lot of the guys who treat me like crap while at work will pretend to enjoy my company ONLY for one day during their air farce of a picnic. At my friend's house, out in the sticks, was a more relaxed environment.

For many hours we tried to get their new $400 propane grill to work, but it malfunctioned and didn't get hot enough. Also, their CO2 keg tap and spicket, whatever you call it, malfunctioned, so someone had to run off and fetch their CO2 from their house to bring it to this BBQ. I wasn't very impressed. It was nice to see some people from work, was hoping to grill some ribs that my wife prepared, but I got pissed off and left the BBQ. I didn't want to be around when the majority would become drunken idiots. Some BBQ that turned out to be. I was the first one to show up AND the first one to leave. I laughed in the car all of the way home. What was very sad is that almost everyone there is or was an Air Force mechanic, electrician, hydraulic specialist, etc. AND we fix jets, but for some reason we couldn't fix a grill or get it to work right. A common excuse was, "We don't have any tools." We failed.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounded like a hick bonanza. Could be fun tho.

Sunday, 12 August, 2007  
Blogger Josue' said...

are you sure this was not the Hillbilly qualifying round for their Olympics? :p

Thursday, 16 August, 2007  
Blogger The D said...

That sounds like fun. It sucks when the CO2 canister fails to work and the beer is stuck in the keg. It is such a sad thing. CO2 is much better because it preserves the freshness of the beer by minimizing contact to air.

You should have had a beer and enjoyed being out of the house. What happened to the ribs?

Thursday, 16 August, 2007  
Blogger phun N gab and the Gay Circus Elves said...

We ate the ribs the next day.

Friday, 17 August, 2007  
Blogger phun N gab and the Gay Circus Elves said...

Oh yeah, I did help myself to some Shiner Bock from the tap, thrice. T'was good stuff. Then I had a mixed drink. For some reason my medication isn't working, so I have a high tolerance to alcohol; helped myself to Coke and Canadian Hunter. To partake of alcohol in moderation and remain sober is always my goal

Friday, 17 August, 2007  
Blogger The D said...

I try to drink to maintain the buzz. Makes things interesting. Then I hit people in the back of the neck with a roll of quarters in a sock.

Saturday, 18 August, 2007  
Blogger phun N gab and the Gay Circus Elves said...

some solid soap would be great in the sock as a substitute

Saturday, 18 August, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"...the crazies cut a small hole at the tip of the sock, poop in the sock, and twirl it around like a helocopter, covering everyone in the room except themselves..."

[A Psych Tech's response to the question, "What are some of your experiences as a Psych Tech in the Navy?"]

Monday, 27 August, 2007  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Search for gas prices by US Zip Code