Sunday, November 16, 2008

Work, work, work; doctor appointments, work

I've been working a lot, more or less as a supervisor. It's not like a lot of work is required of me, though I do put in a lot of hours. Thinking is the most work I do, then I make my co-workers do the rest of the physical labor required. I've been busy trying to fix relationships between co-workers who have called each other names, insults, made hateful racist comments out of anger, etc. So I'm trying to mend relationships. If we're joking around it is cool; there was no joking in this case. There are problems which I see and I've heard complaints from many people, now I'm taking action to resolve these issues before they become too serious. In honor of North America's native aborigines, on my shift I decided to have a POW WOW with my troops a few days ago. We spoke about problems, issues, etc. I want to fix the laziness for some and the better approach to teamwork, professionalism, and maturity. Sometimes these guys don't really grow up in their minds, they just age, remaining ignorant for a long portion of their lives. I have discovered how the ignorant will boast about their maturity, yet sound about as childish as a 4 year old who will not listen to mommy or daddy cuz he wants them to buy him a candy bar first. One of these clowns feels like he is in charge and I put him in his place, which he didn't like. I get angry and sometimes I yell. It's like dealing with children. I found out that one of my troops doesn't like it when someone tells him what to do, especially supervisors. I got pissed off. There is a point when we do need to listen to authority. There is also a point when authority is wrong or entirely too vague. There are gray areas. As humans we can only use our best judgement, which sometimes is the worst decision. When we are in a high position we've gotta be careful. Sometimes we get accustomed to it, then what happens if we lose our high position? Can we still learn to take orders from someone else? We've always gotta answer to somebody, kind of like Bob Dylan singing, "Gotta Serve Somebody." We're always going to have a master in some sense, right? Our structure in life is blind modern slavery. It's really not slavery, but in a sense it is because we have to work and take part in this system, we've always got someone to answer to, deal with this economy, deal with all sorts of problems, deal with bills, work, make trips to the markets to pick up food if we can't grow our own. Work work work. Eat, work, sleep. Do it again the next day, then do it again, and again, and again. I work, I have doctor appointments, I contribute to society. I gotta take it each day at a time. I'm waiting for the military to retire me. I'm so fed up with it. I am wondering if I'll end up like those guys in prison who have been in so long that it is hard for them to function when they get out of prison. I'll find out next year when I get out of the military. Then I can start going back to school and eventually find an occupation.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I'm an E5 now! But I'm still getting out, even if I was offered 1 million dollars. Actually, you know how it goes...we don't get paid for a long time...last time it took 9 months to start getting the next "paygrade" pay. So when I'm about to get OUT, I'll see a last minute increase :(

Friday, 21 November, 2008  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Search for gas prices by US Zip Code