Took me over a month to post something...


I've been really busy with work and doctors appointment, I also have had problems with both of my computers, bad virus spread to everything, even my phone, mp3 player, all of my thumb drives... crap, everything connected to my computer, so I finally fixed the desktop & had to reinstall Windows XP. I had to download the network & graphics drivers from work because I couldn't access the internet through the home desktop & my laptop still had a virus & I wasn't going to transfer files on my thumb drives again after eliminating the viruses from all of them. I'm happy with this desktop now. It's been alright for the 4 years I've had it. This computer is performing better now than it did before. I'm very impressed now. A word of advice, sometimes installing Windows XP all by yourself will keep away those stupid programs these companies will install from the warehouse. I don't have any of that Dell garbage they put on here 4 years ago. Just Windows XP and the programs I downloaded. Aww, I don't even use Windows Explorer 7. Is that on my computer still? The system setup I have now works great & before I erased my hard drive I had copies of the programs I had on there, wrote down the program names too, saved all of the personal files the wife had on there, transferred everything to a thumb drive, erased the viruses. I don't keep important stuff of hard drives, just programs. A copy or two is always floating around outside of the computer for circumstances like that mentioned in this post. Just be careful what e-mails you open because I believe I got this virus from an e-mail somehow. Only thing next is waiting for my external DVD drive to come in the mail so I can fix my ASUS Eee laptop.
Hat tip to Google for the pictures

7 Comments:
finally. pic 3 ftw.
dub-d, what does ftw mean?
"For The Win."
An enthusiastic emphasis to the end of a comment, message, or post. Sometimes genuine, but often sarcastic.
Originated from the game show Hollywood Squares where the result of the player's response is expected to win the game.
C,
A number of things to consider: do you consistently download updates to XP, do you have a firewall? do you have any malware removing tools? email attachments can be nasty, but many times if you are current on updates, you can minimize the nasties...
forgot to ask....
do you also have the Eee PC701 or the 900?
I have my eye on the Panasonic NC10. This is kind of silly, but I have really been waiting for a 6cell battery to come on something less than $500 and the reviews on the NC10 look solid. I NEVER get the first gen of tech products though....so, I will wait till the bugs get worked out and will jump on the next rev UNLESS something else comes out better, but it's like with any tech that if you wait forever, you will get nothing because there are always improvements. I also like the Acer One, but no standard 6cell battery...
J,
I had problems updating XP before where I was able to download most updates, the system somehow would have one portion of the update fail, but now that I've reinstalled XP it seems that it works much better and keeps up to date consistently by downloading everything without a problem. I have reason to believe that I had something on XP that interfered, leaving the system unstable. Also I now have current anti-virus. A while back I was uninstalling and installing different anti-virus programs into the computer and I know the system was left vulnerable for a little while and that is probably how the bug got through. This time I'm keeping my settings the same & I've got good programs which I'm keeping on there permanently to defend the viruses from attacks. I've had malware removal tools, firewall, you name it, this virus was really bad no matter what I used to eliminate it, the damage was done and I had to rebuild in a sense. Did a lot of research. It was definitely the best move to erase the hard drive and start off new again.
About the Eee 1000 I've got, yeah, it isn't a 700 or 900 series... it's a 1000 which I got for $450 It's got XP on it too. This Eee is an awesome computer.
Forgot to mention my Eee PC has a 10 inch screen, webcam, microphone, bluetooth, wireless internet, 6-cell battery, 80GB hard drive, 5 in 1 memory card slot, decent size keyboard. I've had the MSI Wind for a few days before I had to send it back for a refund and I've gotta say that the Eee 1000 is much better all around.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home