A story about a 1997 Ford Taurus
A couple weeks ago we were in Colorado and were able to get there by using the Ford Taurus, my wife's car. So everything was fine, meaning the car got us to Colorado and back just fine. The vehicle worked, thank God it didn't break down during that trip.
This week my wife tried starting the car one day and it wouldn't start. Then she called me and then suddenly the car turned on so she said, "Never mind." We figured that maybe it was because of the cold weather that it took a few cranks for old Taurus to budge. The following day the car was working as usual so my wife could go back and forth from home to school. What was unusual was that the car cranked fine on her way to school and on her way from school to some Indian supermarket (yes, the Asian Indians; NOT injuns). After she finished shopping the car would not start. The car would sound like wanted to start, according to the wife, but wouldn't start the engine. My guess is that the alternator burned out again, which has happened frequently with this vehicle since we've acquired it. If not, then it is either the starter (electrical part), starter drive (which is the mechanical part connecting to the flexplate), or the flywheel (inside the engine, requiring engine & transmission removal to change a part that I could buy for $40 at Autozone), ALL of which would be an extreme pain to repair. I doubt the water pump is shot, but it is a possibility. Too bad I never got a chance to repair it. Anyway, the car wouldn't start so my wife had it towed from the Indian supermarket to her school, where she thought the car would be safer. Yeah, we left it there overnight a few nights until I would have a chance to inspect the car to see what I could do to fix it. I got out a crap load of tools and put them into my tiny Honda Fit and drove over to the school.
When I arrived earlier this afternoon I noticed that the hood was popped open, the locked glove compartment was broken into, the front driver's side window was pryed open through the plastic/rubber panel, and the steering wheel's ignition was broken off and it looks like the fool tried to stick a screwdriver in there cuz the ignition was torn up bad. The car couldn't even get put in neutral, the car couldn't crank nor start, it is completely shot. The wrecker dude had to put the car in neutral by unscrewing a nut in the engine compartment. Also, while I was outside beside my wife's car talking on the phone to the insurance company, another lady's SUV got broken into only a few parking spaces away. I heard her as she came out of her garage, "They broke into it again!!!" Sounded just like the lady who says, "Aesop!!! He's gonna get it!!!" So I guess it happens (vandalism) often around that side of town. That lady with the SUV spent 30 minutes sweeping up broken glass, then she drove off in hurry after she called her insurance company. So we know that the vandalism happened sometime between last night and this morning.
Basically some idiot wasted their time prying the window open, tried to jack the car, broke into the locked glove compartment looking for a spare key or valuables, popped open the hood to see why the car wouldn't start, got pissed off and left... they made a bad situation better for me by trying to steal a car that wouldn't work to begin with, that has had plenty of problems, a nice history of malfunctions. Who knows what they did to the car. Now the insurance company will take care of it.
This week my wife tried starting the car one day and it wouldn't start. Then she called me and then suddenly the car turned on so she said, "Never mind." We figured that maybe it was because of the cold weather that it took a few cranks for old Taurus to budge. The following day the car was working as usual so my wife could go back and forth from home to school. What was unusual was that the car cranked fine on her way to school and on her way from school to some Indian supermarket (yes, the Asian Indians; NOT injuns). After she finished shopping the car would not start. The car would sound like wanted to start, according to the wife, but wouldn't start the engine. My guess is that the alternator burned out again, which has happened frequently with this vehicle since we've acquired it. If not, then it is either the starter (electrical part), starter drive (which is the mechanical part connecting to the flexplate), or the flywheel (inside the engine, requiring engine & transmission removal to change a part that I could buy for $40 at Autozone), ALL of which would be an extreme pain to repair. I doubt the water pump is shot, but it is a possibility. Too bad I never got a chance to repair it. Anyway, the car wouldn't start so my wife had it towed from the Indian supermarket to her school, where she thought the car would be safer. Yeah, we left it there overnight a few nights until I would have a chance to inspect the car to see what I could do to fix it. I got out a crap load of tools and put them into my tiny Honda Fit and drove over to the school.
When I arrived earlier this afternoon I noticed that the hood was popped open, the locked glove compartment was broken into, the front driver's side window was pryed open through the plastic/rubber panel, and the steering wheel's ignition was broken off and it looks like the fool tried to stick a screwdriver in there cuz the ignition was torn up bad. The car couldn't even get put in neutral, the car couldn't crank nor start, it is completely shot. The wrecker dude had to put the car in neutral by unscrewing a nut in the engine compartment. Also, while I was outside beside my wife's car talking on the phone to the insurance company, another lady's SUV got broken into only a few parking spaces away. I heard her as she came out of her garage, "They broke into it again!!!" Sounded just like the lady who says, "Aesop!!! He's gonna get it!!!" So I guess it happens (vandalism) often around that side of town. That lady with the SUV spent 30 minutes sweeping up broken glass, then she drove off in hurry after she called her insurance company. So we know that the vandalism happened sometime between last night and this morning.
Basically some idiot wasted their time prying the window open, tried to jack the car, broke into the locked glove compartment looking for a spare key or valuables, popped open the hood to see why the car wouldn't start, got pissed off and left... they made a bad situation better for me by trying to steal a car that wouldn't work to begin with, that has had plenty of problems, a nice history of malfunctions. Who knows what they did to the car. Now the insurance company will take care of it.

8 Comments:
A little mischief done over here, a little mischief done over there....
Aesop will do it every time he has mischief to do
Well....you hope they will take care of it. Man, when I was driving my sisters Mini Cooper around, it had the coolest anti theft feature. When you take the key out of the ignition, you hear a dead bolt slide into place locking the steering wheel column to the wheel. Most new cars have a feature that locks the wheel when someone breaks into the column. As new cars get harder and harder to steal, old cars are the ones getting stolen. Use a club.
Yo...I did not realize the OK was so scandalous....Let's hope the insurance company comes through and you get to upgrade your auto...
D,
Come on man...The club is a joke. I can cut through a steering wheel in less than a minute and render that gimic useless....of course, if I were a criminal, I may not think of that. :p
Boy-o, the Club is a deterrent. I know it cannot stop a criminal. A criminal is looking for the easiest thing to steal. Anything that makes it harder for him will be good for you in the long run. Of course, these guys even opened Caleb's hood, so I dont think it would worked too well...but who knows.
Yay insurance company.
By the way, you ever think of changing the background of your blog to something other than black? Every time I read a long post, my eyes go loopy when I go to a page with a lighter background. Just a suggestion.
I had the same issue. Now it looks like puke, but is easier to read.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home