Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Graveyard shift

After nearly 5 years of working the "2nd Shift" ('SWING shift' for military), I have been appointed as 'MID shift' supervisor. I run a whole shift myself. It really is great being the only NCO in my section during MIDs. I'm in charge completely instead of being 2nd in command. I'm still getting used to this work schedule, which runs from around maybe 2130 to 0700. It isn't so bad. I not so crazy about the hours all too much, but it is great working with the team of guys I have. They're awesome, excellent workers. All I have to do is get used to sleeping from morning to afternoon/evening and things should be fine. For the first time I am getting great parking spots at work and at the apartment complex. This schedule isn't so bad, as long as you look at the positive factors. The guys I work with now put in a lot of dedication, so I make sure they get as many smoke breaks as needed. These guys have been respectful to me and deserve to be treated as adults, NOT like a bunch of elementary school students holding hands. Also, these guys need my help too. I can't just give them a list of stuff to do and then dose off in an office. I gotta be out there with them and put myself on the same level as them. They know I'm their supervisor. It is important to be their friend at times too - developing trust is a key factor. If you can't be friendly with them you might create distance and they might not want to talk to you - we need to create a more comfortable environment in the workplace. Having a higher rank than my troops only allows for them to have to obey my orders. BUT ordering them is NOT the way to do business UNLESS they are dirt bags or just need plain guidance/training.

Rule #1 : take care of your troops (people)
Rule #2 : make sure your troops take care of business (work)
Rule #3 : if troops aren't taking care of business, "take care" of THEM with disciplinary actions (punishment for people not doing their job or being lazy)

4 Comments:

Blogger Josue' said...

Phun,
I agree with you in that you CANNOT lead anyone who does not trust you. First thing one must do in management is drop the ego trip and that makes things work much more smoothly. Being accountable for orders is also another situation that many in management are not able to process.

Good luck.

Wednesday, 29 November, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like you're doing everything u need to get work done. GJ

Thursday, 30 November, 2006  
Blogger phun N gab and the Gay Circus Elves said...

GJ using acronyms - it would be too difficult to type it all out anyway

Thursday, 30 November, 2006  
Blogger The D said...

Remember, if your employee thinks or knows he knows more then you do, he will not be happy.
Gay Joke?
Gay Jews?
Game Joy?
Gallon Jelly
Gonad Jam?

Thursday, 30 November, 2006  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Search for gas prices by US Zip Code