Why do we have to be so formal ?
Yesterday I go into work at the Air Force base cuz I'm military (I still call it work - it's my job). We have these short meetings each day before we begin work. We call these meetings "roll call" where we gather and discuss so-called relevant information that we supposedly need to know. Our supervisors lead these meetings and usually brief us about everything from safety to respect of higher ranking individuals, appointments, etc. Anyway, 3 supervisors are all huddled up with 4 of us lower ranking guys telling us about how we need to stop referring to each other by their first name or last name, but by their proper name to show respect. We have to listen to their speeches that went on and on.
Instead of somebody calling me by my nickname or my first name or my last name - guess what my proper name is ? - "Senior Airman (last name)" is my "proper" name. Then there is confusion between all 3 supervisors. One guy was telling us that NCO's can refer to us by our first name or last name (NCO = Enlisted Non-Commissioned Officer = E-5 and above). Pretty much NCOs can call lower ranking individuals whatever they want... AND it's okay. The Air Force regulation states that it is okay. Then another NCO tells us that even though we are the same rank, if we are not NCOs, we can ONLY refer to each other by our "proper name." I could tell all of my supervisors disagreed. By the time the meeting was over, they tell us that we should use our discretion when talking to each other in front of people that work in a different section. Eventually, the supervisors agreed that among us guys that work together, it is okay to call each other whatever name we choose, but to be respectful. Also, use "Yes sir" and "Yes m'am" when speaking to NCOs and Officers. They told us to always be courteous. That was common sense !!! We are military. We are supposed to be courteous to everyone (except the enemy). Then again the enemy isn't always our "enemy" - the enemy is what the Commander in Chief tells us. Bush is our Commander in Chief. It goes on and on.
During the meeting, another higher ranking individual, leader of our section, comes into the room and asks,"Are any of you smokers?" Everyone looks around at each other. No one in the room was a smoker. So the guy says,"Good. Because I just got off the phone with a Colonel that just stopped one of our NCOs that flicked a cigarette out the window of a GOV." A "GOV" is a government owned vehicle. Smoking is prohibited in government vehicles. So is littering cigarettes. So the guy slams the door after cursing and mumbling for a few seconds.
Did I mention that there have been at least 3 suicides at my base since I've been here ?
Here's a summary for you people that don't get it. I should not have to be formal when I am very good friends with somebody in the military, even if they are higher ranking than me. Showing respect can be done without formalities. In military sometimes being formal is 2-faced, but we are supposed to do it because we are trained robots and must obey the military regulations. We also must show respect even if we have personal issues with someone or dislike the individual.
And, NO !!! I'm not a pilot ! Just because I'm in the Air Force doesn't mean I'm a pilot. 2% of the Air Force consists of pilots. You think the Air Force is just pilots ??? Who repairs the aircraft ??? Thank you. Now go educate yourself so you can think more open-minded. Then you can join the Air Force to see what it is like.
Instead of somebody calling me by my nickname or my first name or my last name - guess what my proper name is ? - "Senior Airman (last name)" is my "proper" name. Then there is confusion between all 3 supervisors. One guy was telling us that NCO's can refer to us by our first name or last name (NCO = Enlisted Non-Commissioned Officer = E-5 and above). Pretty much NCOs can call lower ranking individuals whatever they want... AND it's okay. The Air Force regulation states that it is okay. Then another NCO tells us that even though we are the same rank, if we are not NCOs, we can ONLY refer to each other by our "proper name." I could tell all of my supervisors disagreed. By the time the meeting was over, they tell us that we should use our discretion when talking to each other in front of people that work in a different section. Eventually, the supervisors agreed that among us guys that work together, it is okay to call each other whatever name we choose, but to be respectful. Also, use "Yes sir" and "Yes m'am" when speaking to NCOs and Officers. They told us to always be courteous. That was common sense !!! We are military. We are supposed to be courteous to everyone (except the enemy). Then again the enemy isn't always our "enemy" - the enemy is what the Commander in Chief tells us. Bush is our Commander in Chief. It goes on and on.
During the meeting, another higher ranking individual, leader of our section, comes into the room and asks,"Are any of you smokers?" Everyone looks around at each other. No one in the room was a smoker. So the guy says,"Good. Because I just got off the phone with a Colonel that just stopped one of our NCOs that flicked a cigarette out the window of a GOV." A "GOV" is a government owned vehicle. Smoking is prohibited in government vehicles. So is littering cigarettes. So the guy slams the door after cursing and mumbling for a few seconds.
Did I mention that there have been at least 3 suicides at my base since I've been here ?
Here's a summary for you people that don't get it. I should not have to be formal when I am very good friends with somebody in the military, even if they are higher ranking than me. Showing respect can be done without formalities. In military sometimes being formal is 2-faced, but we are supposed to do it because we are trained robots and must obey the military regulations. We also must show respect even if we have personal issues with someone or dislike the individual.
And, NO !!! I'm not a pilot ! Just because I'm in the Air Force doesn't mean I'm a pilot. 2% of the Air Force consists of pilots. You think the Air Force is just pilots ??? Who repairs the aircraft ??? Thank you. Now go educate yourself so you can think more open-minded. Then you can join the Air Force to see what it is like.

2 Comments:
I would never join the Military, for the fact that I will never give up my right to decide, for myself, who the enemy is.
Also, I have a problem with authority. and that just does not fit well with people yelling at me. I would probably get courtmartialed after a week.
By the way, did you know that something like 90% of educated americans believe that Bush gave the Terr'ists exactly what they wanted?
Did you also know that while Socialised medicine is un-amarican, your and my taxes are going to pay for Iraq's socialised medical program. Yay America, land where they dont want you to kill babies but killing thousands of innocent brown people in War is A.OKay!
Once, I saw someone throw a cigarette butt out their window as I was reading their bumper sticker that said "Green Peace" ...go figure.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home